Thursday, March 4, 2010

Having the balls to fight Alex Valle

Hey folks,

So last weekend at the level|up tournament in SoCal that I was fortunate enough to attend I got the 'one off' chance to fight a Street Fighter legend: Alex Valle.

I went to the tournament with the intention of having a couple of drinks, watching some great matches, and getting caught up in the hype. There was no shortage of those things, but also there was this "Beat The Pro" segment that I had read about on the level|up website, and heard about on the "Wednesday Night Fights" stream. In my bravado, I had told myself that I would definitely register for it at the tournament. Once I got to the tournament, however, and saw the spectacle, the huge screen, the crowd (150+ easily), and the big names (Jwong, Choi, Ortiz, ShadyK) I began to feel intimidated. I began to take a reality check and tell myself that 'I'm a six month Ryu player wanting to take on the best 15 year Ryu player in the country in front of all of SoCal on a massive screen!? I can't do this.'. I didn't want to be a laughing stock, the comic relief in a sea of otherwise intense matches going on.

So when they announced "Beat The Pro" registration for the fifth time I had all but made up my mind until Alex Valle got on the mic and said something that struck a chord, "I want to see every tournament player in here on the list for "Beat The Pro". If you want to ever be a top player in this game and your name isn't on this list to fight me then you don't care about being the best you can be." Alex looked at me after he said this and I began to think about his statement. I thought about a year ago, I thought about learning to throw a fireball on a stick in April of 09', I thought about the countless hours of training mode, and the rage inducing online matches, this blog that I write, and my desire, despite my life, work, and time constraints, to be a top player in SF4. I thought 'how can I walk out of here with any self respect in regards to SF4 if I don't at least register for the chance to play?'. I also thought what if I don't play? I get to watch the tournament, but an opportunity passes me by that I can never get back and there will always be that 'what if?' factor. So I went up to the table, and put my name in the drawing.

The list of names was a long one, 80 people at least. When I saw it I was almost comforted in a way. I mean, I registered, if I didn't get picked to play...at least I registered right?

Alex announced that he only had an hour to play and so only a few people would get the chance.

I was the first named called.

No backing out now, I went up to the stage. Talked to Alex briefly and sat down at my station. I tried to feign nervousness. I mean, I'm a Navy veteran that has had to deal with intimidating instances on more than one occassion so my hand remained steady plugging in the stick, my voice calm and confident when talking to Alex, but underneath it all I was a bit of a wreck.

The first round began and all of my training went out the window. My gameplan? Don't get perfected. But, I did more than not get perfected, I picked up the first round! I looked at Alex and he gave me a nod and a smile. He and I both knew that I got lucky, but in that moment I knew that I had forged a memory that I would have never had had I not had the balls to get up and fight Alex Valle that day. Sure, I went on to eat mixup after mixup, bait after bait, and my nerves made the entire thing a blur, but the experience was something that can't be taken away. It was a private lesson from Mr. Alex Valle himself, not in how to option select, not in how to set up frame traps or baits, but in how to overcome your nerves, your preconceived notions, and stand up and fight in front of everyone. Without this valuable lesson that can only be taught in this manner, I would possibly never become a top player. Alex knows that this aspect of performing in front everyone and trying to do your absolute best while remaining calm, despite the nerves is the X factor that made him the winner of so many past tournaments and the player that he is today.

So, if you're on the fence about attending a local tournament, or you are afraid of embarrassing yourself, or maybe you are a tournament player that loses it when too many people start watching remember that its the experience that counts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqwTxjx4KjQ


I'll be back next week with some thoughts on how to improve execution and a few notes on what I saw in my match with Mr. Valle.

No comments:

Post a Comment